Winter Driving Safety Tips
Visiting the UK this winter? The country is beautiful this time of year, a blend of new and old – from historic towns oozing with history, to vibrant cities buzzing with untold secrets of the future, all offset on a backdrop of snow, frosty blue skies, and impressive thunderstorms.
Although stunning, British wintertime can make the roads a dangerous place for those who aren’t used to them. We have put together a list of our top tips to make your journey as safe as possible, meaning you can spend less time worrying and more time enjoying your drive!
1) Defrosting your car
Going back to basics, there are do’s and don’ts when it comes to de-icing your vehicle.
- First of all, do use an ice-scraper or de-icer spray, they’re the safest and fastest methods of removing frost from your windows and ensuring your visibility is at 100%.
- Don’t use boiling water to instantly remove the ice from your window, the heat will cause the glass to expand and is likely to result in a cracked windscreen.
- Don’t use your windscreen wipers, the ice is too abrasive for the rubber wipers and will cause unnecessary wear, which will cost you more money in the future.
Did you know that it’s illegal in the UK to leave your engine running idly as a means of heating up your vehicle and defrosting the windows! Although this seems like the easiest and warmest option, it’s punishable by a financial penalty, so it’s best to refrain from this method.
2) Always bring an emergency winter travel kit
Your safety is always our number one priority here at Avis Prestige. We ensure that all of our cars are maintained and kept in perfect condition for a smooth and seamless drive. The entire fleet is of the highest quality, consisting of only the most reliable luxury cars for you to travel in.
Having said that, it is always recommended that drivers in the UK keep an emergency winter travel kit in their vehicle. Although our cars can be trusted, the Great British weather cannot; it’s always better to be safe than sorry, especially if you’re going on a road trip!
We recommend bringing:
- Bottled water
- A torch and spare batteries
- A blanket
- Phone charger
3) Be aware of the invisible hazards
During the winter, roads in the UK are prone to black ice, flooding and mud. All of these can interfere with the handling of your vehicle, putting you at risk of skidding or aquaplaning.
Here’s how you can avoid these potential problems:
- Drive slowly
- Avoid puddles
- Avoid heavy braking – do not slam on the brakes this will make things worse. If you need to brake, then gently pump on the breaks to bring yourself to a slower speed.
4) Avoid being dazzled by the Sun
A common misconception is that the UK is grey and gloomy during the colder months, but this couldn’t be further from the truth! Britain often gets blue skies and sunny days during the winter and although it’s definitely not t-shirt weather, you will certainly need some sunglasses if you plan on getting behind the wheel, the sun lies low so many find that the visor doesn’t protect their eyes from the glare.
5) Preparation is key
As always, it is recommended that you plan your journey. All of our vehicles at Avis Prestige come with an up-to-date built-in satnav, meaning you can plan your journey with accuracy and ease.
Temperamental weather will often leave the roads slightly busier, so be sure to give yourself plenty of time for your trip so you can get to your destination with no issues.
View our full range of luxury vehicles and hire your dream car this winter! The entire fleet at Avis Prestige is well-maintained and kept in impeccable condition. We always deliver exceptional service and provide an impressive range of luxury vehicles that keep you safe, while remaining at the height of style and sophistication. To hire your dream car, send us an enquiry, or call our friendly team on +44 (0) 20 7591 0444.